Friday, August 31, 2012

Octoberfest's Vienna Lager


Ever since our first ancestors were banished from paradise, we have been so destined that, “By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food” (Genesis 3:19) – and, may I add, drink your beer. 

Today my brow is sweating as I harvest hops and boil them with malt and water in my back yard.  On this hot and humid last day of August, I sweat as I brew my next batch, and I find relief in a glass of the previous batch.  While sweating at work under my deserved curse, I also sip the goodness of the Creator’s undeserved favor.  Thank God that He has not given up on His creation, but in providence, continues to bring the rain and the sunshine we need to grow hops and grain.



The beer pictured here was made from a Mr Beer Kit called Octoberfest’s Vienna Lager. It had a nice caramel flavor to the malt and the hops were pleasant enough.  But overall this beer shows me well that, while the Creator blesses my hard work, he also provides me with the service of professionals who can do it right.  This particular homebrew was drinkable despite the over-carbonation and the cider flavors which are the tell-tale signs of a bacterial contamination. So while I am refreshed by my handiwork, I also thank the Lord for the professionals called by God to make me consistently good beer.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment