Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Bigfoot's Barleywine

This homebrewed Barleywine was a year in the making. Brewed in January, 2013 and enjoyed at the stroke of midnight on New Year’s Eve.  I used a kit from Midwest Homebrewing Supply in St. Louis Park, Minnesota. The malt extract was exceptionally tasty -- so tasty in fact that after I spilled some on the brewing instructions, Moses, the dog found them irresistible. So some of my detailed notes, like original gravity and times of brewing are missing from the record.



This brew is warming in the mouth and belly with its high alcohol content. The fermentation process produced some esters that give interesting flavors of candied fruits. I enjoyed this quite a bit. but I’m not sure I would do it again, the heavy and extreme flavors keep this one from being a crowd pleaser. Friends who have tried it have given me only few and brief compliments. 


No comments:

Post a Comment