Saturday, September 27, 2014

Ommegang Abbey Ale

Whenever I see their trucks, my mouth waters, anticipating that moment when I taste a sample from the brewers in Cooperstown, New Jersey. I got that first chance today during the second half of the Hawkeye game.



It appears that Ommegang brews their beers in the Belgian tradition of continually throwing odds and ends of fruits, nuts and spices into the brew pot until it starts to taste good. This Dubbel has been made with annis and orange peels and other stuff printed on the label in letters too small to read. Now normally I would rather follow the German tradition that assumes beer is good on its own. The brewer should have no need to add garden and kitchen scraps. Today however, I must admit that Ommegang Brewery has settled on a recipe that makes an interesting and drinkable ale.


No comments:

Post a Comment