Monday, November 17, 2014

Skull Splitter

A precursor of this lifetime beer book was a text file stored on the Palm Pilot I used to carry some years ago. It was a short list -- less than a dozen or so. I had simply titled the file "beers I like". It chiefly served as a reminder to myself that, if given a choice of beer, I would want to go back to these. That list now sleeps on some dead hardware, no longer able to remind me of which beers were the tops for me back then. But one entry "Skull Splitter Orkney Ale" has always stuck in my mind, even though I have never seen it since. So it was with great nostalgia and joy that I found a bottle sitting on the shelves of John's Grocery in Iowa City.

Taking it home, I had a happy reacquaintance with a long lost friend. The flavors and aromas are rich and complex, sweet and earthy.  Minced meat pie is the closest thing I can think of to compare it to. I've updated my top six on the blog, reviving this old entry among my favorites.




No comments:

Post a Comment