Saturday, December 1, 2012

Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel


Advent begins and this year I have a special Advent Calendar.

I like to travel. The sampling of beers in different places is a key ingredient in the production of this beer book.

But I also like to come home again, especially because of the people I love who are waiting here for me.

After a trip to Missouri for a couple of beers with my friend Erik Rottmann, my welcome home present was an Advent Calendar of Beer.

My wife Sandy has prepared this box of beers, counted down from 24, for me to pull one out and enjoy each day from now till Christmas.  


Already the first one was a big hit! #24 comes from Ayinger, the makers of the best beer in the world Celebrator Dopplebock.  This Dunkel is packed with rich malt flavors: toffee, caramel and fresh roasted grains. It finishes with a solid hop kick. It reminds me of the Hacker-Pschorr dark beer I had a couple of times in the 1980's at the Heidelberg in Ann Arbor.  That style is what started me off on the happy trail of trying different and exciting beers from around the world.




2 comments:

  1. What a great gift for a guy who loves beer! Your wife is very creative :)

    ReplyDelete