Sunday, March 22, 2015

La Beninoise

Today is the birthday of both my mother and Steve Neuendorf, which reminds me of a time when I had a beer with both of them at a hotel in Cotonou, Benin. La Beninoise is a likable local drip there. One of the interesting things is, as you can see in the photo, the beer is bottled in a random assortment of bottles, some pints, some 12 ounce, some green some brown. The beer in the green bottles quite memorably proved how sunlight, especially in the tropics, degrades the hops into skunkiness, while beer in the brown bottles was much better protected.

left to right: Richard Armbrecht, Mary Koch, Sandy Koch, me, Jean Neuendorf, Steve Neuendorf, Denise Haugen at l'Hotel Etoille in Cotonou, Benin, August, 2002.

This fun night in Benin also came to mind when a friend of mine today pointed me to this following map which includes La Beninoise. (you may have to click on the map to open it to readable size):


No comments:

Post a Comment