Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Natural Light

A careful reader of this beer book from Illinois recently pointed out a glaring omission. I have not yet reviewed Natty Light. My son Caleb is visiting us and wanted to help me out. He ran out to the corner grocery and bought us one to share and contemplate on. So here it goes. As you see, I poured my half into a prized beer glass fitting for such a special occasion.  If I remember right, the last time I used this half yard was Christmas, 2014 when I drank a winter warmer from Backpocket brewing in Coralville. I always enjoy the beers from Backpocket -- an Iowa owned brewery with a brewpub that offers up tasty locally produced fare. But back to the Natty Light, as you can see from the photo there is something more to the color than just clear yellow. See the hint of copper hue. 



The color reminds me of the label of Summit Extra Pale Ale, which, by the way, is an excellent beer. In my book, Summit is the standard American Pale Ale to which all others are to be compared. But again I digress. I have much more to say about this Anheuser-Busch product Caleb and I are enjoying together on this nice spring day. Ah, Spring! The robins return and the breweries release bock, my favorite style of beer, especially dopplebock. I should really look for a chance in the next few days to get somewhere that sells a nice German dopplebock, rich and thick and complex with flavors of molasses, dark fruits, and chocolate. But alas, now for the Natural Light, the actual point of this page. Which makes me think, how many Point beers have I included in my beer book? 12 – I just counted. Stevens Point Brewery in Wisconsin has been making great beer since 1857. I ought to put their brewery tour and tasting room on my list of day trips to consider this summer. I see on their website that they have just released an apricot wheat beer that sounds intriguing. While typing up my thoughts on Natty Light, I was just interrupted by a text message from daughter Rachel. She’s away at college in Ann Arbor, Michigan, not far from Kalamazoo, Michigan -- home to Bell’s brewery. Now that’s a good source of beer. I love their Oberon wheat in the summer and their Kalamazoo Stout in the winter and really, anything else they offer in between. Which brings me back to Natural Light and now I can say, of all the beers I’ve mentioned in my beer book, Natural Light is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment