Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Michelob Golden Light

I can still enjoy a light beer. I hope I don't ever grow up so much that I despise the simple things of life. Here’s a mass produced, non-distinct beer that quenches your thirst and makes you happy. I really enjoy blogging about all the esthetic qualities of fine beers -- flavor, body and bouquet.  But let’s remember: beer is given to us mainly to quench our thirst and make us happy.

By the way, Michelob Golden Light Draft Beer is only available in "Flyover Country".

As I sipped this, I read the controversial Atlantic article by University of Iowa Professor Stephen Bloom, Observations from 20 Years of Iowa Life. If you don’t want to bother reading the article, I can just sum it up: Bloom hates Iowa and pities Iowans.

He ridicules the state as a “throwback to yesteryear” place where religion still matters and folks greet even a stranger they pass with a nod or a two fingered wave.  Someone once summed up the law of life by saying it all comes down to loving God and loving your neighbor.  Iowans understand this.

Much of what Bloom says can’t be denied.  This ain’t New York or L.A. or Paris out here.  I can appreciate the esthetic qualities those fine places offer – culture, glamour, sophistication.  But let’s remember, life is given us mainly so we can love God and love our neighbor.  Let’s never grow up so much that we despise the simple things of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment