Sunday, February 10, 2013

Backpocket Machete Double IPA



I am glad to support and affirm the work of an Iowa brewery today. Backpocket Brewing in Coralville had already wowed me with their dunkel, so I had been hoping to have a chance to visit the tap room and see firsthand their works and their other offerings.  My wife, Sandy, was gracious and patient to suffer through a detour on today’s itinerary and so we stopped in for a bit. The first thing that hit us when we walked in the door was that the place smelled like our kitchen when I’m brewing beer. As Sandy said, with wrinkled nose, “they must be doing something right.”

A friendly waitress offered me some very tempting choices and I was happy to sample a pint of the Wooden Nickel Scottish Lager, peated bock. It’s brewed with malt that has been smoked over smoldering peat moss, yielding an interesting hint of smokiness.

Sandy and the waitress talked me into a second glass, a Machete, double IPA. Although I liked the first beer, the Wooden Nickel, I regretted wasting all the time I spent on it when I should have just had two Machetes! The first whiff is full of fragrance of oranges and honey. The taste is powerfully hoppy without being overwhelmingly bitter. This is listed as a seasonal offering of Backpocket.  I passed my comment on to the brewers, “Please don’t lose this recipe”.


No comments:

Post a Comment