Sunday, July 1, 2012

New Belgium Ranger IPA

Seldom do I have two beers in front of me at the same time when I’m in a nice restaurant, so let me explain this photo:

 I saw New Belgium Ranger IPA advertized and on the hot summer day that it was, my mouth watered at the expectation of the hoppy aroma and floral finish of an IPA. So I ordered and our waiter quickly brought me a cold beer in a nice glass.  I sniffed it, as I am wont to do.  Then I sniffed again this time even more deeply, surprised and disappointed that there was no hops in the aroma. I took a drink.  I swallowed and waited for the hops aftertaste, and then waited a little more, but nothing. 

When the waiter stopped for our food order I patiently asked, “How sure are you that this is a New Belgium Ranger IPA.”  He very dutifully answered, “umm, lemme check.”  He soon returned with an apology and an actual glass of IPA.

All in all it was a good experience.  I proved to my family that in a blind taste test I can tell the difference between a Coors Light and a quality IPA.

No comments:

Post a Comment